If you are a student, some of you might not know about the Mathematician Ramanujan. His name was Sriniwas Ramanujan. The world has lost a gem at a very early age. He left us at an age of 32 but gave the world a lot in those 32 years.
I don’t wan’t to make this boring. Let’s know some important incidents, facts and information about him:
- He once said that, There is no meaning on an equation if it don’t expresses a thought of God.
- He finished the book on advanced trigonometry by S. L. Loney at an age of 13 and discovered some sophisticated theorems on his own.
- He was very close to the Mathematician G. H. Hardy from University of Cambridge, whom he sent 120 theorems in the first two letters only.
- Ramanujan completed approximately 3,900 results mostly related to identities and equations during his short life.
- Ramanujan’s three notebooks has 351 pages in first, 256 pages and second and 33 pages in third. First Notebook has 16 organised chapters and some material, which are unorganized. The second has 21 organized chapters and 100 pages which are unorganized, and the third which he wrote during his last days of life has 33 pages, which are unorganized.
- A private university in Tamil Nadu, SASTRA University has instituted a prize of $10,000 to a mathematician for their outstanding contribution in Mathematics influenced by Srinivasa Ramanujan. The age of the mathematician should not be more than 32.
- A movie based on the novel of Kanigel, The Man Who Knew Infinity was launched in 2015 starring Dev Patel as Ramanujan.
- On the 125th birth anniversary of Ramanujan in 2011, the Indian government declared 22nd December as National Mathematics Day.